Wednesday, August 12, 2026

Wuthering Heights by Emily Brontë

A story of love, anger, revenge and complicated relationships

Have you ever read a book where the characters make so many complicated choices that you keep wondering what they will do next? 

That was my experience with Emily Brontë’s Wuthering Heights. At first, I expected it to be mainly a love story, but it turned out to be much darker and more complicated than I expected.


Wuthering Heights tells the story of two families and the relationships between them. The central characters are Catherine Earnshaw and Heathcliff, whose strong connection affects almost everyone around them. Heathcliff arrives at Wuthering Heights as a child and becomes closely connected with Catherine. As they grow older, however, their relationship becomes complicated by social differences, choices, marriage, and pride.

Catherine eventually marries Edgar Linton, even though her feelings for Heathcliff remain strong. This becomes one of the most important turning points in the story. Heathcliff is deeply affected by what happens and later becomes determined to take revenge. His anger does not affect only Catherine and Edgar; it continues to affect the people around them and even the next generation.

One of the lines that really explains Catherine’s feelings is “He’s more myself than I am.” I think this is one of the most important lines in the novel because it shows how deeply Catherine feels connected to Heathcliff. At the same time, her choices show that strong feelings do not always lead to simple or happy decisions.

The Characters
Heathcliff is probably the character who stands out the most. He is passionate, angry, and determined. He goes through rejection and suffering, but instead of leaving the past behind, he becomes focused on revenge. What makes him interesting is that he is not an easy character to understand. His love, anger, and desire for revenge are all connected.

Catherine Earnshaw is just as complicated. She is strong-willed and passionate, but she also makes decisions that create suffering for herself and others. Her relationship with Heathcliff is at the centre of the novel, while her marriage to Edgar creates another important conflict.

Edgar Linton is very different from Heathcliff. He is calmer and more gentle, but he becomes caught in the complicated relationship between Catherine and Heathcliff. This makes the conflict between the characters even stronger.

I also found Cathy and Hareton interesting because their part of the story feels different from the earlier generation. Hareton has grown up without the education and advantages he might have had, while Cathy has been brought up in a very different environment. When they first meet, they do not understand each other well, but their relationship gradually changes.

Lines That Stood Out to Me
There are several memorable lines in the novel. One that I particularly liked is:

“Proud people breed sad sorrows for themselves.”

I think this line fits the novel really well. Pride plays an important role in the decisions the characters make, and those decisions often lead to more conflict.

“I’ve dreamt in my life dreams that have stayed with me ever after.”

This captures the way memories and emotions remain important to the characters throughout the story.

What I Thought of the Book
One thing I liked about Wuthering Heights is that the characters do not feel completely good or completely bad. They make mistakes, hurt each other, and sometimes allow their emotions to control their decisions. Because of this, I kept thinking about why they behaved the way they did.

I also liked the atmosphere of the novel. Wuthering Heights and the surrounding landscape give the story a wild and gloomy feeling. The setting fits the emotions of the characters and makes the story feel even more intense.

However, I did find the novel difficult to follow at times. There are many characters, some names are similar, and the story is told through different narrators. The relationships between the characters can also be confusing. But once I understood who everyone was and how they were connected, the story became much easier to appreciate.

Overall, I think Wuthering Heights is a memorable and unusual novel. It is not the kind of love story where everything works out easily. Instead, it shows how love can become connected with pride, anger, jealousy, and revenge.

The characters are probably the strongest part of the book for me, especially Catherine and Heathcliff. Their relationship is complicated enough to keep the story interesting, while Cathy and Hareton show how relationships can develop differently in the next generation.


I would recommend Wuthering Heights to someone who enjoys emotional stories with complicated characters and a darker atmosphere. It can be challenging to read, but it gives you a lot to think about even after you finish the book.

No comments:

Post a Comment